How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Me and my brother owen house my brother older me if have to

This answer was rated:

me and my brother owen house my brother older me if have to go in nursing home do they take half house to pay for him be in nursing home.and my brother pay last bit of mortgage
he said he owen the house that not right l still owen half of it.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Just for clarity - the property is registered in your joint names.
Provided it is then the house does indeed belong to BOTH of you.
If your brother has to go into a Nursing Home you cannot be forced to sell the house to pay for his care.
However if HE wishes to force a sale of the property then he can do so - but you will of course then get your share
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you