How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33533
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I have a 13 year old step daughter from my wife's previous

This answer was rated:

I have a 13 year old step daughter from my wife's previous relationship, where my wife never lived or cohabited with her ex partner. The ex partner sees his daughter fortnightly, but has never paid anything towards her upbringing but now what's to be involved with her schooling. She has gone to private school from the age of 3, & still attends one now 10 years later. This has cost us a lot of money to give her the best, ***** ***** now wants be involved but we don't want that. What rights do we have, as our daughter does not want him at school.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We give my wife's ex partner a copy of all our daughters headteacher report sternly, but he have received no comments from those reports from him. Our daughter has sent a txt to her father in her own words, stating she doesn't want to sleep over or go away on holiday with him & his girlfriend & doesn't want he attending any school functions. As this may cause people to talk at school, which is very good & stable.
In what way involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Go to parents evenings, concerts, open days & open evenings at school
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We pay at lot of money for private school, & he has never contributed or taken an interest till now
The difficulty you have I am afraid is that as he will also share parental responsibility then he will be allowed in law to attend these things so long as he is not a risk to the child's safety.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your saying a person who has never contributed to his daughters upbringing has these rights, & he has now decided to get involved more in her life, although she doesn't want the involvement with him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please respond to the last reply so we can meet him tomorrow & speak with a clearer understanding of our rights with regard to the situation
Strictly speaking in law I am afraid that he does have these rights - it should be handled sensitively but yes under the Children Act 1989 he does have these rights.Happy to discussPlease rate positively
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you