How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33523
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I split up from my ex partner 6 and a half years ago. She

Customer Question

Hi. I split up from my ex partner 6 and a half years ago. She remains on the mortgage although she does not reside her. When she moved out we had a agreement that I payed her £26,000 which I payed her after 3 and a half years. Now she is wanting to remove her name from the mortgage however myself and my current partner are unable at this moment to get another mortgage. Please could you advise is she legally able to enforce me to sell the house in order to remove her name. This is of great worry as I have dependants living with me. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
The starting point is that you/she need to realise that the only way in which either your name or your ex partner's name can be taken off the mortgage is if the bank agree to this course. There is no such way of forcing the bank to do that unless the money owing is repaid. What she might attempt to do and there would I am afraid be force in her application is force a sale of the property.