How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1437
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have been primary carer 2 boys now aged 14

This answer was rated:

I have been primary carer for my 2 boys now aged 14 and 11, since my husband left 11 years ago.
I tried to move and he took me to court. After a long winded and expensive process we now have shared custody.
As he has them for school now from September he has stopped all maintenance and is going to claim maintenance from me.
He is also going to claim Child Benefit so I don't get that either. (although I know he earns close to £100k p.a.
I have calculated based on the holidays and every other weekend I will have them about 116 days per year.
Please advise me on where I stand as I have had to get 2 loans to pay for the court fees and have a mortgage, based on maintenance and CB when it went through last year.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am ok to wait but am under a lot of pressure to respond and have been threatened again with CSA/court to get me to pay.

Still no response from Child Benefit office


We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Thank you for your question - I am a Solicitor and able to help.
Unfortunately if your children will be spending more time with their father - then he would be able to seek maintenance from you. You should check with the Child Maintenance Service as to what your liability would be.
Your ex could also make a rival claim for child benefit. It would be harsh if he did so if he is earning over 100k. This doesnt stop him making a rival claim but if he did receive the child benefit then with earnings over £60k then he would have to pay all this back by completing a self assessment at the end of the year. Perhaps this might put him off?
Kind Regards
I would be grateful for positive feedback. I am new to this service and therefore positive feedback is gratefully received.
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1437
Experience: Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you