How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I am a divorced father of an 18 year girl and have been

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a divorced father of an 18 year girl and have been paying maintenance for the last 7 years under a court consent order. I work 6 days on and 3 off and my daughter stays with me on my rest days, during annual leave and whilst her mum is on holiday. She has completed her A levels and hopefully starting an HNC course in Sept. Can you please advise if I can stop payments to her mum (now re-married) from September as I would like to help my daughter more directly. Many thanks Kevin
Thank you for your question. I'm Caroline a Family Solicitor.
Please could you confirm the date of the court sealed consent order.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The date has not been noted on the consent order but the accompanying letter is dated 03/07/2009. For info my daughter's 19th b/day is October 16.

Hello Kevin
Thank you for your reply.
A consent order from 2009 can be varied after 1 year. You could use the Child Maintainace Service Calculator to assess your current liability.
Child Maintenance is payable until your daughter reaches 20 unless she starts advanced education. A Higher National Certificate is considered as advanced education. Therefore your liability would cease when your daughter started advanced education - that being the September she starts. The mother would also stop receiving child benefit then.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. That's understood. Should know next week if she has the place. But now know both scenarios if successful or not.

Your welcome. I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer.
Kind regards, Caroline
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you