How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33372
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My sons partner has left the family home with their son. She

Customer Question

My sons partner has left the family home with their son. She has never contributed to anything financial and met my son when he already owned his own home. She did not pay towards that property and has never paid towards anything in relation to the house they moved into together. The house is in both their names as well as my daughters name. Is my sins ex partner entitled to force the sale of the house so she can benefit financially
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid that in all likelihood if they can not come to an agreement then she will be allowed to force a sale of the property. Properties such as these are usually held as tenants in common and with a presumption that the property is held on for a purpose - when that purpose changes (someone want to leave) then they can normally persuade the court to allow an order for sale. Ideally they should try and come to an agreement.Please rate positively.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Even though she's NEVER contributed a penny and my son already had a property before she moved in with him and the sale of that property was the sole reason they could move????
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Yes because of the fact that it is in both their names. That is the key here.Please remember to rate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because of her poor credit and the fact that she was not in regular employment they had to get a third party on the mortgage. Will this make a difference. It's his sister
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son has always paid for the mortgage and was able to continue paying the mortgage on the house they bought. She has never paid towards anything... not even utilities
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
The key if they can will be to get her off the mortgage