How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33362
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I live with my husband in a home in England which is in his

This answer was rated:

I live with my husband in a home in England which is in his name even though I contributed substantially to the purchase. He is reluctant to have the house put in my name as well. We have no children together. I have two daughters from a previous marriage and four grandchildren. He has two brothers and extended family and a daughter with a women he was not married to. We have a will which eaves everything to me if my husband dies before me and vice versa then there are provisions which divides everything equally between both families when we are both gone.
Should I be concerned about this situation as it relates to protecting my interests regarding ownership of the house.
How is the relationship?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Relationship is good but he gets very annoyed if I press him on having my name on the deed as well

how long have you been married?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Relationship 27 years, married13 years

Is there a mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No mortgage

There is no reason why you should not be on the deeds and if this can be agreed with him then this is very sensible. That said after such a long marriage should you divorce then the starting point for a redistribution of the assets would be 50-50 irrespective of whether you are on the deeds or not. If your property is registered at the Land Registry, you can protect your position by using a ‘matrimonial home rights notice’ or ‘home rights notice’ in any event. Although of course he would become aware of you serving such a notice.Please remember to rate positively
I hope this helps
Please remember to rate positively
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I expect an answer to my follow-up question?

Happy to help - please rate the original question and resend and I will look at for you
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Frankly, I'm not concerned about divorce in this matter. The larger question is with out my name on the deed if my husband should die before me can his family lay claim to the house, or if I should die before him can the house be excluded from the provisions of the will. Does having my name on the deed avoid any of these possibilities.


I see. As the wife you keep all the assets (including property), up to £250,000, and all the personal possessions, whatever their value.The remainder of the estate will be shared as follows:you get an absolute interest in half of the remainderthe other half is then divided equally between the surviving childrenIf a son or daughter (or other child where the deceased had a parental role) has already died, their children will inherit in their place