How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33528
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I want to move abroad with my new wife. My son, with my ex-wife

This answer was rated:

I want to move abroad with my new wife. My son, with my ex-wife lives, with us permanently and we want him to come with us. He's 15 (16 in October) and also wants to come with us. I have a very strained relationship with my ex-wife and communication lines are zero. What do I need to do to ensure that she can not stop me from taking my son to live with my new wife and I in California?
The key is to wait until the child is over the age of 16 -then he would be permitted to live with you in the US should he so wish
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are not in a position to wait until he is 16.

The difficulty you have is that any court action is likely to take more than three months to resolve. You would need to make an application to the court for a specific issue allowing you to take the child to the USA - the court will consider the application on the basis of a case called Payne v Payne and the welfare of the child being the paramount consideration. Normally the process takes if opposed some time - a few months
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

my pleasure - please rate positively
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you