How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1442
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My ex husband wants me to arrange contact with the children

This answer was rated:

My ex husband wants me to arrange contact with the children around his work shifts which I do but now he wants to fit them in between his social life as well, if he takes me to court is it likely the judge will accept him having contact only when it suits him and around his social life as well as awkward shifts?
Thank you for your question. I am a family solicitor.
I note that you are currently promoting a relationship between your children and their father but are frustrated by him apparently putting his social life before his children.
It is your children's right to have a relationship with both parents as long as it is safe to do so.
Children benefit from routine and stability and therefore it is important for them to know when they will spend time with their father and for them not to be let down. You should remind him of this. Whilst it is appreciated that he works shifts - he needs to be consistent for the children.
No court can anyone be a better father and therefore I would be surprised if he went on to make an application to court if you are seeking to promote his relationship with the children. He would also have to attend a session at mediation before he could make an application to the court.
You should note down all times you have offered contact, what he has actually taken up and when he is has let the children down. This will help evidence that he has been inconsistent if matters do go to court.
Kind Regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received. We also don't receive any credit for our work unless positive feedback is received.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry, I was asking if a court is likely to suggest that he can have "open access" just picking the children up when he feels like it. Or can I ask for set days/times
The court will think it is in the children's best interest to have a routine as far as possible. It's not fair to pick and choose when he feels like - he needs to commit so the children know how often they are going to see him. You also need to know so you can make other plans (and have the ability to be able to do other things).
That's why it's important for you to start making notes as to his commitment and consistency.
Kind Regards
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you