How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33393
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I have to go to court to contest a non-molestation order

This answer was rated:

I have to go to court to contest a non-molestation order that my ex got ex parte. An Advocate at my local council said she would do the witness statement with me and go with me to court which is great as she has legal aid and I cannot get legal aid. The
Advocate is not a solicitor though. Can she still formally represent me or would she just be a McKenzie friend? Many thanks
The advocate can help you draft a witness statement - but if you is not a lawyer then she would not be able to represent you in court as a lawyer. She would need to apply to the court to be considered as a McKenzie Friend. This does not allow her to speak on your behalf but to simply advise you whilst you speak to the Judge. You can sometimes pay for lawyers (barristers) to represent you at hearings under the direct (public) access arrangement.I hope that this helpsPlease rate positively for me - thanks
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you