How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33360
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

Leon, Following a broken relationship (broke up 3 years

This answer was rated:

Hi Leon, Following a broken relationship (broke up 3 years ago) where the mother has custody of the 8 year old child and the father has been poor in meeting his maintenance payments and owes the mother many $000's, the mother wishes to travel abroad on
holiday and requires a passport for the child. The father is required to sign the passport application. What is the position if the father refuses to sign the passport application? Many thanks, Bernard
Any parent with parental responsibility is able to sign and strictly speaking who ever signs does not need the consent of the other.The passport office can and usually do issue passports for children under the age of 16 on a signature of one parent with parental responsibility.The passport office may question any application received which is signed only by one parent if the other parent for instance has lodged an objection at the passport office.If an objection has been lodged, than the passport office are unlikely in my experience to issue the passport on the signature of one parent. You would then need to apply to the court for a specific issue order.Please remember to rate positively - thanks
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** reply was brief and to the point----excellent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good day Thomas,
Up to 3 months ago the father had his son stay with him on every alternative week-end, as per agreement with the mother.
However, this father never called nor contacted the child on his recent birthday and has not had him for a week-end visit for 3 months. He has not been in contact with the mother for weeks.
The mother has not threatened the father that she would not allow the son to visit him until he paid the outstanding debt. She has, however, asked for payment of the agreed weekly child maintenance payment.Would this father have any visitation rights in the future?Many thanks,
Hi this is a second question - happy to reply but please either list as a new question or rate positively
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have rated Thomas positively.