How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33529
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My sister lives in the family home with her 16 yr old

This answer was rated:

Hello my sister lives in the family home with her 16 yr old daughter. My parent wrote a will stating property to be sold and split 50/50, the solicitor says she is refusing to move out it the house is there anything that can be done thank you
Did the will grant her any rights to continue to live in the property or was she a tenant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The will did not grant her any rights to stay there, she was just living with our parents
Well if the will did not grant her any specific rights to live in the property you as joint owner can apply to the court for the property to be sold under the auspice of a trust for sale. This is a straight forward process and the solicitor would be able to draw up the paperwork. It basically means that the court would be invited to allow the sale of the property - you can also look to recover against her for the costs of making such an application. The solicitor should write to her formally first advising that this is the planHappy to discussPlease remember to rate positively - thanks
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you