How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My son is 18 years old and works full time, if me and my wife

This answer was rated:

My son is 18 years old and works full time, if me and my wife divorce can I be forced to pay maintence in any way for him
Thank you for your question.
As your son is 18, full time employed and not in further education then you would not be liable for any child maintenance through the Child Maintenance Service. The general rule is if your wife is no longer receiving child benefit for your son then you are not liable.
Your wife could try and seek maintenance for your son as part of financial settlement in divorce. The court would likely not accept such an argument if he is working full time.
Kind Regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received. Please note that we receive no credit for our work and we do not get paid unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you