How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1364
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have been separated from my civil partner 4 years.

This answer was rated:

I have been separated from my civil partner for nearly 4 years. If I die will he automatically inherit my estate?. If I write a will can I exclude him as a beneficiary or just leave a lump sum if I wish?. Thank you.
Welcome to Just Answer
Thank you for your question
I note that you state that you are civil partners - if you died without a will the you would considered as have died being intestate. If at the time of your death your civil partnership had not been dissolved then your estate will therefore be divided following the rules of intestacy. You civil partner would therefore inherit:
all the personal property and belongings of the person who has died
the first £250,000 of the estate,
half of the remaining estate.
If you were joint tenants on the property then the whole property will pass to your civil partner under the Right of Survivorship.
It is therefore very important that you do consider making a will. If you are joint tenants in relation to severing a joint tenancy.
If you were to dissolve your civil partnership and deal with the issue of matrimonial finances then your civil partner would not automatically inherit however if you died within one year of the dissolution then you must also be aware that your ex could might make a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act claiming that reasonable provision was not made for them.
Kind Regards
Positive feedback is gratefully received.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you