How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1381
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have an 18 year old daughter, just finished school going

This answer was rated:

Hi I have an 18 year old daughter, just finished school going to art college. I haven't seen her for 10 years but have tried to stay in touch. Parental alienation by the mother has been used against me. Interestingly, I am now seeing my son who is at university.
When can I stop paying payments for a child I don't see or know ?
Welcome to Just Answer
Thank you for your question.
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Unfortunately Child Maintenance is not dependant upon whether or not you are actually having a relationship with your daughter.
As you are currently paying maintenance through the Child Maintenance Service (new name for CSA) then you remain liable until you daughter turns 20 whilst she is in full time non advanced education. University education is classed as advanced education. You need to check your daughters course to see if the college course is classed as advanced or not.
I am sorry to 'rub salt in the wound' but you also have to be aware that even when your daughter starts university, if she does, then a Schedule 1 Children Act claim, could be made in certain circumstances for you to continue to support your daughter whilst she is at university. Although I note that this does not appear to have been initiated in respect of your son.
In relation to spending time with your daughter - unfortunately a Court would not entertain an application made by you for a Child Arrangement Order for you to spend time with her.
I appreciate that what I am telling you is not what you want to hear - and it is certainly not the advice I want to give - but I have a duty to be honest.
Kind Regards
Please remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you