How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am currently paying spousal maintenance to my ex of £1500 a month linked to a court

This answer was rated:

hi...I am currently paying spousal maintenance to my ex of £1500 a month linked to a court order...I lost my job 12 months ago and have just got a new job. I paid the full spousal maintenance during this time. My current income including pension is now a third of what I was earning when the judgement was passed. I have written to her explaining I want to reduce this payment to £500 as I am now earning 50,000 and not 153,000 a year. plus I would restart child maintenance of £350 a month for my son who is 15. she has replied via a solicitor that this is unacceptable and I must pay the full amount. She is 52 and very capable of working (has not worked ever since we were married in 1998) she says she trying to set up small business venture (has been for 3 years) and refuses to go out to work. Recently sold the old matrimonial home with app 100,000 balance over new house bought...she says that some of this is being used to fund the business...where do I stand if I start paying her the reduc
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How did you manage to maintain the full payments for the last year?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From my redundancy monies


I am afraid that you cannot simply start paying the reduced amount - you need to make an immediate application to the court for a downward variation.
You have been generous as you could have made the applictaion a year ago - and the Court is likely to be willing to backdate a reduction to the time that you MAKE the applictaion, so you could risk paying the reduced payments at that point.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks that is useful, am hoping to come to an arrangement directly with my ex to save this



Try discussing it with her using Family mediation