How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33388
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My husband has been living in my house 5 years,

This answer was rated:

My husband has been living in my house for nearly 5 years, 3 of which we have been married. House is in my name and there is a charge on the house which i need to pay £300.000 in 4 years or house will be forced to sell. House was left to me after my previous husband died. Work has been carried out on house with existing husbands money. Is he entitled to any of the house ?
are there any children? how long you been together in total
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have been together nearly 8 years. He has an 18 year old and 20 year old who live with us and I have a 28 year old living here. My father is due to move in soon
When you have been together so long the likelihood is in fact that the court is going to start with the presumption that the pot should be split on a 50-50 basis - that is the starting point. You can try to show the court that 50-50 is too much and negotiate that you should have a higher share of the pot. I would be minded to see a solicitor and get matters started formally - also the solicitor can offer him a much lower sum by way of the negotiation starting. Happy to discuss - please rate positively - thanks
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you