How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have been renting to a family member who has been recieving

Customer Question

I have been renting to a family member who has been recieving housing benefit for over 20years.. the council have just found and and suspended the benefit .
i have been using a letting agent to manage the property by doing this it proves it is commercial.. it now appears that when they put in the appliaction they did not put in the form that I am a family member..the payments have been going direct to the letting agent and after deductions the money came to me.
if the tenant caused the fraud will they pay back the money and have I any chance of being prosecuted as I did not fill or sign anything
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
yes, the tenant may have to pay back the money. You will not be prosecuted for this unless there is an allegation that you conspired with the tenant to fill in the form wrongly.