How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33517
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My brother and his partner were together years they

This answer was rated:

my brother and his partner were together for 25 years they have a joint mortgage although she hasnt paid a penny for last 6 years and married someway else.My brother has suffered 2 severe strokes and is unable to work she wants to sell the house so she can get her share leaving my brother homeless .he has carers 3 times a day to look after him can she force the sellknowing she left him in the beginning
Bad news I am afraid. She would be entitled to insist on the sale of the property if it is held in joint names as you suggest. If matters can not be agreed - such as potentially him buying her out - then she would be entitled to apply to the court for a power of sale. I would be delighted to discuss further, but kindly remember to rate positively. Thanks
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you