How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I pay my ex-wife money daughter who has spent part of

This answer was rated:

I pay my ex-wife money for my daughter who has spent part of the week at her house under a consent order for the last 11 years. My daughter (17) is now living with me seven days per week and has been for the past 6 months. Do I have to continue paying my ex-wife?
The consent order says "payment to include tertiary education to the end of a first degree. Can I pay the money directly to my daughter if she lives away at University or do I have to pay to my wife?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youDo you wish to claim maintenance from your ex?Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I don't wish to claim maintenance from my ex.
Since the child no longer lives with your ex you no longer have to pay child maintenance to her.If your ex will not accept that you will have to apply to the Court for a variation of the order dismissing the claimthe court will grant this without any difficulty.Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Clare, can I assume then that should my child go to university the maintenance can be paid directly to her and would I need to apply to the court for a variation of the order so to do?
No need - the order would be dismissed in full - you no longer need to pay anything- just continue to care for your daughter
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Most helpful. Thank you again.
You are most welcome I hope all goes well