How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Separated two years, living separately with new partners,

This answer was rated:

separated for over two years, living separately with new partners, both of us. Not started divorce yet. If I enter into a new mortgage via remortgaging with my new partner, he is paying all costs and I am investing nothing, can my ex claim against this house as a marital asset?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youWhen the finances are looked at within the Divorce proceedings all assets you each hold will be taken into account - so yes technically your new property could be at riskHowever the level of contribution will be looked at so the risk will be reducedI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All payments for the property come out of my bank account, at no time are any payments made from her bank account to support the property. So I assume in this case her ex will have no claim whatsoever as she has no "investment" in the property?

It is highly unlikely that he will have a claim - but it is an asset that the court will consider when assessing what her needs are
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you