How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7677
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a British citizen and live in Europe I recently married

This answer was rated:

Hi I am a British citizen and live in Europe I recently married and my husband is Tunisian.we
Both still live and work in Europe! And are wondering if he would be able to apply for a British passport.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I’m afraid that he would not qualify for UK citizenship simply because you are married to him.
All foreign citizens can only become UK citizen (and then apply for a passport) by applying for naturalisation as a UK citizen.
In order to naturalise a person has to meet the requirements on this page if they are married to a UK citizen:
You will see from the second set of bullet points that a person must have spent 3 years in the UK before applying for naturalisaiton.
If you and your husband wished to return to the UK in order to settle here with a view to naturalising then he would have to apply for a spouse visa before coming here:
I am sorry.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you