How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33384
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

Social services have taken my grandchildren into care can I

This answer was rated:

social services have taken my grandchildren into care can I visit or get an emergency court order as I wasn't present at the hearing ?
Thank you for your question.
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please can I ask:
- when were your grandchildren taken into care?
- how old are your grand children
- have you had a good relationship with your grand children previously ?
- have the local authority assessed you as a carer yet?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
at 3pm today they are 2 and 10 my grandchildren and I have a fantastic relationship no one was given time to do anything there both well balanced children
Thank you for your response.
You need to get in touch with social services and explain that you seek to care for your grandchildren.
You need to ask them to undertake an assessment of you as a carer.
The local authority have to consider other family members as carers.
You must ensure that you impress upon social services that you will prioritise your grandchildren over and above anyone else - especially the parents. Whilst I appreciate that one of the parents will be your child - for the local authority to have taken your grandchildren into care then they must be satisfied that the parents cannot care right now. The local authority will need to undertake assessments of the parents and you must ensure that you can prioritise the grandchildren over the parents. It is important that you do not try to fight the parents cases for them.
If care proceedings commence - then you should attend at the first court hearing and tell the Judge you want to be assessed to care for your grandchildren.
Kind Regards
Positive feedback is gratefully received. Happy to discuss further.
Do you know when the next hearing is? Have you spoken with social services? What is the position with the parents?
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33384
Experience: Over twenty-five years experience
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you