How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1494
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I'm not on the birthday certificate, do I have any legal

Customer Question

hi, I'm not on the birthday certificate, do I have any legal right to my child? have can I be put on the birth certificate?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
If you are not named on your child's birth certificate then you do not hold parental responsibility for your child.
A person who has parental responsibility for a child has the right to make decisions about their care and upbringing.
There are various ways to obtain parental responsibility.
May I ask -
- when was your child born
- do you think the mother would agree to you having parental responsibility ?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi,My child was born in England, ashford, Kent. My child is coming up to 3 years old now, her mother has a knowledge I am the father and has been taking money from
The start, we had a civil agreement, but I only got to see my child an hour a week while she was there, but she keeps moving the goal posts, I haven seen my child in over 7 weeks and I don't want her to be calling the shots all the time, it's not fair on my child or me. What do I do??
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response.
My apoligies for my delay in responding to you.
I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are experiencing in relation to spending time with your child.
I can confirm that the courts do consider that it is a child#s right to be able to spend with both of their parents unless their are child protection concerns.
If you are being denied a relationship with your child then you need to consider making an application to the family court.
Before you can make an application to a family court you need to make a referral to mediation. The court will reject your application unless you make a referral to mediaton first. Mediators try to resolve such issues wouthout the need for attending at court. One such mediation service is
There are lots of mediation services and there will be one close to you.
In the event that the mother does not engage in mediation and / or agreement cannot be reached in relation to the time that you spend with your child then the mediator will be able to sign the form that you need to make an application to the court.
You should apply to court on Form C100 and Forms C2. You would be seeking a Child Arrangement Order and also a Parental Responsibility Order.
The Court fee is £215 and the application form should be sent to the local family court to the child.
Kind Regards
Positive feedback is gratefully received.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Please kindly remember to rate positively- your question will not close and I can answer your follow up questions for free