How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1439
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My daughter has split from her partner and has a 12month old

This answer was rated:

my daughter has split from her partner and has a 12month old daughter
daughter now lives at home with us!
what access rights does father have?
can we take daughter and grand daughter on holiday without his ok?
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please can I ask:
- is the father named on the child's birth certificate?
- is there a routine in place for the father spending time with the child now?
- are there any child protection concerns in relation to the father?
- are planning in holidaying abroad
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes his name is

twice a week for about 5 hrs each

no concerns with him really

holiday in spain

mother still breast feeding child during the night, and he is requesting overnight access! ie sleepover at his house

Thank you for your response.
If named on birth certificate the he has parental responsibility. The fathers permission will therefore be required to take your granddaughter abroad. This shouldn't be unreasonably refused as the courts do consider that children should go on holiday. If he won't agree apply to local family court on Form C100 for temporary leave from jurisdiction for the purpose of a holiday.
In respect of the father spending time with the child - it is the courts view that children should have a good relationship with both parents unless there are child protection concerns. Consider a schedule that increases over time to include overnights.
Mediation can help the parents agree a schedule. There are lots of mediation services and there will be one local to you. One such national service is
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you