How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My wife currently has the house in her name only . the mortgage

This answer was rated:

my wife currently has the house in her name only . the mortgage is also in her name only .
I have been paying the mortgage indirectly via my wife for the last 15 years . My wife wants to add my name to the deeds of the house . How do we do this ?
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.If there is a mortgage on the property then you will not be able to add your name to the legal title for the property unless the lender agrees. The lender will have a first legal charge on the property which prevents changes in ownership without their consent.Therefore, you should approach your lender to ask for their forms to add your name to the title. If after you have applied to them they agree then you will have instruct a solicitor to do this for you. It should be fairly cheap.If your lender does not agree to add your name to the title, then your only option would be to apply to a different lender for a mortgage in your joint names. If another lender offers you a joint mortgage offer then, again, you would have to instruct a solicitor in order to do a remortgage/transfer of equity. This way would be a bit more expensive because you would also have to pay new search fees of around £200-250 because the lender is different. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you