How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I seperated from my wife over a year ago and have since

This answer was rated:

Hi, I seperated from my wife over a year ago and have since met someone else.
I have an amicable arrangement with my wife for maintenance and access to our two children.
I want to divorce but it looks like the only way is to wait the 2 year time period for this to be a legitimate reason for the divorce. Is this the case our can I file for divorce now (or is it my ex who should do this)?
If i van get a divorce now how do I go about it?
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstis your wife willing to agree to a divorce?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We don't talk anymore so I don't 100% but I'd say she would agree given the circumstances
Does your ex have a new partner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My kids haven't mentioned anyone so I'd say no she doesn't
There are only two Immediate grounds for divorce - that your spouse has committed adultery and you no longer wish to live with them:or that your spouse has behaved in such a way that you cannot reasonable be expected to live with themClearly your wife could issue a Petition based on either ground - or you could Petition for a divorce based on herUnreasonable Behaviour(it does not have to be bad just annoying and we can all be annoying at times!)Alternatively there is less than a year to wait until you will heave been separated for two years - if you both agree to the divorce.The starting point is to discuss the matter with your ex using Family hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you