How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

If someone is claiming Tax credits and housing

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir
If someone is claiming Tax credits and housing benefits are they still able to claim child maintenance for the two children. The Father has them two days a week and every other weekend. She also has a full time boyfriend living with her.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
The current position is that any Child Maintenance received will not affect housing benefit or tax credits.
The fact that there is a 'live in boyfriend' means that that persons income would also be calculated in relation to the income calculation for the assessment of that benefit.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Sir,

My question was if someone is getting Tax credits are they still able to apply for child benefit from the father as I thought that was what Tax credit was for.

Yes - you can still claim child maintenance if you are claiming tax credits.
Kind Regards
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you