How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband's 9 year old daughter, Evie, lives in Belgium with

Customer Question

My husband's 9 year old daughter, Evie, lives in Belgium with her mother. We pay the same amount of child support that was ordered by the courts at the time of the divorce 8 years ago, even though he now has another 2 children with me. Her mother expects us to have his daughter stay with us in the UK for all her school holidays which is ok except for the fact she expects us to pay for one of us to go and collect Evie from Belgium and also pay for returning her to Belgium, plus Evie's tickets as well. As you can imagine this adds up to several hundred pounds plus one of us has to take the day off work and we have to pay for childcare for our other 2 children while we are travelling. His ex wife claims that she doesn't have to contribute to any of the travel costs as we have chosen to live in the UK. Both my husband and his ex-wife are from Ireland and I'm British, so yes we have chosen to live in my country but she has chosen to live in Belgium with her partner. Is this correct that we are expected to pay for all travel costs? With 7 holidays a year this adds up to almost £6000 which we just can't afford. We even live with my parents as we can't afford to live in our own place because of the child support and these costs.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhich court set the amount?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Belgian courts set the amount €150 per month, we pay €200 as his ex-wife claims she needs more as Evie has Down syndrome. She also expects us to pay even when we have Evie stay with us for 5 weeks at a time.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
How much does your partner earn?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£35,000 before tax
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

You need to be aware that the amount that he is paying is considerably less than the UK CSA equivalent which would be in the region of €400 a month.

In fairness the CSA would agree a substantial discount for travel costs for contact

In addition the only way that the child maintenance figure can be altered is via the Courts in Belgium.

You may be more successful in challenging the travel costs.

You cannot be forced to have the child for every school holiday if you cannot afford to collect and return her.

Your husband needs to make it clear that unless his ex is willing to help with the travelling then the contact will have to be cut back to an affordable level.

Alternatively if can apply to the courts in Belgium for an Order that his ex contributes to the travel costs.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details