How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33537
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

Need some advice, social services brought both my children to live with me on a permane

Customer Question

Hi need some advice, social services brought both my children to live with me on a permanent basis due to Moms inability to cope. Over the last two years I have tried to accommodate contact but she continually cancels and changes days and times. Am I within my rights to stop contact if this continues
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
If there is no court order in place then you are within your rights to stop contact - basically because her actions are causing the children emotional harm. If contact can not be agreed on a regular basis - weekly or fortnightly then you can stop it - happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
It is never wise to simply stop all contact unless there is an immediate physical risk to the child
Doing so makes you seem unreasonable - no matter what difficulties your ex has been causing.
Your starting point is to offer to try and speak to your ex using Family mediation,uk
If the children are over 7 then try and use a mediator also trained to work with young people.
If your ex attends and an agreement is reached it can be turned into a Consent order which is enforceable
If she refuses then work out what pattern of contact would suit the children and notify the mother that this is the contact that will happen - and that any requests for contact on other days WILL be refused - then stick to it
If your ex tries to see them on days that are not agreed turn her away - and call the police if need be.
If she is not happy then she will have to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order - and go through mediation first.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.

I can see that my colleague has advised a different view - this is not uncommon when lawyers take different views - from what you have written I think you can stop contact. Happy to discuss. Please remember to rate positive