How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33529
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

If a couple (who are not married) but have a child together

This answer was rated:

Hi if a couple (who are not married) but have a child together have separated and the father is not letting the mother have as much access to their child as the father what can they do and where do they stand (as in should the mother has more parental rights than the father? )
The starting point is that if you are both on the birth certificate then you will both have a parental responsibility - this basically means the same rights. If he is not letting you see the child you should first try mediation (MIAM) and then if this does not work you should make an application to the court for something called a Child Arrangement Order - this would allow either the child to live with you or for you to have more contact with the child - there are books on Amazon on how to represent yourself in the family court if you can not afford a solicitor. Follow these steps to apply for a court order.Read the guidance - in the C100 court formSend it to your courtIt costs £215 to apply for a court order. I hope this helps. Please rate positive
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you