How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I would like some advice on divorce and where I stand please? I'm disabled w

Customer Question

Hello, I would like some advice on divorce and where I stand please?
I'm disabled with a long term chronic illness called Lupus which my husband knew about when we met 23 yrs ago. Since my Mum died 6 yrs ago, he has been made redundant, became self employed. Other factors include lack of sex and mental abuse which I've only just recognised has been going on for years. He knows that when he drinks wine it he becomes more abusive. Anyway, he has been talking about moving out to his mums house and I've always stopped him and pleaded with him not to. I've finally had enough. Can he force a sale on our house which is in joint names on the mortgage? I have nowhere to go. Please feel free to ask me what you want to know. Many thanks, Fiona
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow much is the house worth and how much is outstanding in the mortgage?What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Clare,
We bought our house in 2000 for 67k and now worth 160k (I had put 10k of my inheritance down at the time and there is 18k outstanding. There are no children. Two old cars and an overdraft of 2k. At the moment, no work for my husband is booked in...he is a carpet cleaner on less than 10k a yr and I am disabled on DLA and severe disablement allowance. The dog is mine.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
How much would a suitable one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A one bed property would cost around £120k.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
How old are you both?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 42, my husband is 46
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Have you looked at shared home ownership properties?