How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son and x partner split years ago the child is now 12 years

This answer was rated:

my son and x partner split years ago the child is now 12 years old and wants to either live with his father or me and the wife. how old does he have to be to make that choice
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhy does he wish to move and would he need to move school?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not happy at home and he would not have to move schools
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where is my answer
My apologies.Has he told his mother how he feels?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no more questions just an answer please i am waiting
I am sorry but in family law it is important to have all the necessary information first - as it is the minor details which can change the outcome.At 12 the child's wishes are of great importance - and may well be decisive in any court application.However it is equally important that the right steps are followed to ensure the outcome that is wanted.Your SON needs to arrange a mediation appointment to discuss matters with his ex using a family mediator trained to work with young his ex will still not agree then he can apply to the courts for a Child Arrangement Order stating that the child lives with himI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you