How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34911
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My self and partner have been together 21 years we

Customer Question

My self and partner have been together for over 21 years we have a mortgaga on our home if my partner was to pass away ( unthinkable) before me would our home stay with me ( the mortgage his in my partners name only) thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstDoes your partner have any children?Is there a former spouse?Has he made a Will?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has 2 children and has not been married he has never had a will.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You are right to be concerned.If something happens to your partner then his Estate - including the house - will go to his children.You will be able to make a claim against the Estate to claim a share of the property - but it will mean a fight after his death AND as a side issue - his children will be the ones to arrange his funeral - not you.The house issue could be solved by it being transferred into your joint names - the funeral issue can only be solved with a WillI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can the house issues be resolved by him writing in his will that i am soul benefactor.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I should have clear - the house issue can be solved by him making a Will and Leaving it to you OR by him transferring it into joint names now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last question, has long as he makes all his intentions known and puts all this into a will then this is legal and final and i can be reassured.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Provided it is a valid Will then all will be well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome - I hope you are able to discuss matters with himThis article may start the conversation
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You may be right so many Couples out there who are not married yet believe they are entitled to 50%.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Yes it has been a considerable concern for many years - do please make sure you are safe - there is enough to cope with after a death without this as well