How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33357
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My partner and I took out aloan together some years ago,

This answer was rated:

Hello my partner and I took out aloan together some years ago, we no longer live together and now have new partners. She got married to some one else. The loan was in both our names, I have received a judgement this morning in my name only.
I am not refusing to pay back the money, but only when the judgement is in both our names.
Is this legal for them to just put it in my name now that she has got married and changed her name.
I am afraid that it is. Joint loans are written on the basis that they are jointly and severably liable - this means that you are both jointly and separately liable - if they think one os better for the money than the other then they can choose to go after that person - there is nothing to stop you going after the ex yourself for your share. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So how can I stop this judgement until it's in both our names
I have answered
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Who do I contact, the court , the balief or the company the loan is with.
The company that the loan is with
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
my pleasure