How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I pay child maintenance via a family agreement but

Customer Question

I pay child maintenance via a family agreement but will become unemployed at the end of the year. Is the mother able to legally get access to any of my assets (house, savings etc.) given I wiil have zero income?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhat (round figures) is the extent of your savings/assets other than your home?What is your ex's housing position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have £34000 in savings. My ex owns her own home (under mortgage I assume)

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Then you have no cause for concern.Child Maintenance is payable from income only - but you do need to give her as much warning as possible of the forthcoming changeI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare