How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33364
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I will try to be as concise as possible. i divorced in

Customer Question

hi i will try to be as concise as possible.
i divorced in 1999 the house was not settled and is still in joint names.
i have paid no mortgage payments since the split.
today i have a letter out of the blue asking me to sign over my interest in the house for £1000.
the mortgage is nearly paid and the house is worth aprx. £70 -80K.
i assume that i can refuse or negotiate further??
can i be pursued for mortgage payments??
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
As I have commented elsewhere you are perfectly entitled to negotiate. He would seek I imagine to offset any profit for the failure by you to make mortgage payments. That said he has had the full benefit of the property for this time. So you are entitled to get a valuation and negotiate. Please rate positive
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
I hope that this helps. Please rate positive