How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am the non resident parent (no contact at all) who has been

This answer was rated:

I am the non resident parent (no contact at all) who has been informed by CSA that Child Maintenance has been stopped as the child has left home to attend university. I have been told by the Mother of the child that I must continue to pay maintenance whilst the child is at university - which is correct the CSA advice or the resident parent? Was Paying £300 per month under CSA arrangements, I have other children (different relationship) who are attending university but I do not support them - they have student loans and work to maintain themselves - what advice can you give please?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youYour ex is wrong.Your CSA liability has come to an end.Your child him or herself COULD use Schedule 1 of the Children Act to apply for maintenance but they would have to show that their reasonable needs exceed their income from all possible sources!I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - what does sched 1 of the children's act mean - will they take me to court or is this done by some other means?

Sorry - it is the name of the section of legislation that your son/daughter would make the court applictaion underThe fact that you have other children who you do NOT support makes it unlikely that such an applictaion would succeed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Bearing you information in mind does my salary come into the equation even though the child who left my family home to attend university is paying his own way and has never asked for support.

Should I let this be known to my ex partner who is pushing for maintenance for the child who's CSA payments have stopped.

Yes your income does come into the equation - if you are a very high earner then there is more risk BUT your child will have to show that they have taken every possible step to finance themselves - including a part time job
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you. Is there a figure the court would impose should the case go against me?

No it will be base don the child's reasonable needs and income - but it will not be as much as the CSA assessment