How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am currently living at the same address as my ex partner.

This answer was rated:

Hi I am currently living at the same address as my ex partner. Myself and him have a joint tenancy agreement and rent was explained by the housing officer that re housing is not an option until the rent arrears are cleared. However he is not paying a single penny to rent ,council tax etc I am and I was advised by the citizens advise bureaux to continue paying because of " the joint tenancy". I have had endless discussions and have repeated information explaining the liabilities of joint tenancy and pointed out you can't live any where for nothing.....but am still getting no where what can I do
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow old are you both and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm 44 he is 32 and yes 2 children

How old are the children and who has their day to day care?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are 5 & 6 and I look after the children, feed take to school clothe etc

How are the children coping with the current position
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The children are coping very well and understand the current position. However in adult world the current position is not changing or going to change whilst stuck 'I refer back to my first question"

You need to apply to the Court for an Order that the Tenancy is transferred into your name and that your ex leaves.It will be up to him to find alternative accommodationYou can read more here form you need is here hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you