How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1370
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I be lived in my dads house years my mum died 27 years

This answer was rated:

I be lived in my dads house for 33 years my mum died 27 years ago he married after one year can the step mother troth me out the house
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please may I ask:
- is your dad still alive?
- does your dad have a will?
- do you know if the house is in your dads sole name?
- have you contributed to the mortgage? Paid a deposit? Or added value to the property through renovation/ redecoration?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes my dads alive not sure if he has will I think the house is in his name yes my brother was giving him money 40 pounds a week for five years
Was the £40 a week paid by you? Was this towards the mortgage?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it was paid to my dad by my brother but I was paying the gas bill
Thank you for confirming that for me.
You are in quite a tricky position and it is my advice to you to have a chat with your dad about your concerns.
You need to find out if you dad has a will and if he is intending to leave you some right to reside in the property or a share of the property.
If your dad did pass away without a will then he would be considered as intestate. If your fathers estate was less than £250k then his wife would inherit everything. If it's more than £250k the wife gets half of everything above and the other half is divided between your fathers children. Your fathers wife could ask you to leave the property.
You won't have a claim under the Trust of land act as you have not contributed towards the mortgage or added value to the property.
You could try to make a claim under the Inheritance Act that you haven't been provided for but this won't guarantee you staying in the house.
You need to get this out in the open now - ask your dad to confirm the position so you know his intentions.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you