How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33361
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

Does a child have any claim to part of the equity of a deceased

This answer was rated:

Does a child have any claim to part of the equity of a deceased parent's house when that child has always lived with the parent at the house and has paid an equal share towards the upkeep and maintenance of the property over many years?
Potentially - the key is whether there was an intention for the child to have an interest in the property. If they did then they can claim an equitable interest in the property. The said child may also have an interest in the estate under the 1975 Act. The aim of the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 is to make further financial provision for those who:have not inherited as a result of intestacy (where there is no will);have been left out of a will entirely; or,have not been left as much as they need.In a case where reasonable financial provision has not been made, the Inheritance Act enables the court to vary the distribution of the deceased’s estate for certain family members and dependants.With the exception of a surviving spouse or civil partner (who is entitled to more), anyone else claiming under the Inheritance Act 1975 is entitled to such reasonable financial provision as is necessary for their maintenance, insofar as the estate can provide it. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you