How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My wife and I have been married 9 years, but separated over one year. We h

This answer was rated:

Hello. My wife and I have been married 9 years, but separated for just over one year. We have tried to patch things up, but to no positive outcome. I have proof she is seeing somebody and the potential of being in a sexual relationship with them. Can I file for Adultery, and if so would it effect her settlement? We have two children both born in wedlock aged 8 and 4. I'm currently out of work, and my savings are currently paying her rent.
Thank you
Hi, thanks for your question.
If you can prove adultery then you will need to state the date(s) and place(s) that this took place. You cannot rely on adultery if you lived with her for six months after the adultery took place. If that is the case then you will need to apply under unreasonable behaviour.
The reasons for the divorce do not have an effect on any financial settlement, unless there has been financial misconduct.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hope this information was of assistance. Have you managed to progress matters? Please let me know if you have any further queries.