How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My wife and i have been married years ,the house we

Customer Question

My wife and i have been married for four years ,the house we live in is in my name & was purchased by me , i pay the mortgage & the only contribution she has is she pays the bills in the event of a divorce does she get half the house.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question.
It is difficult to say what financial settlement parties should be entitled to as the Court will have to consider all the facts of the case, including assets and income of both parties, contributions and needs before deciding what sort of split is equitable.
However, even though the property is in your sole name and you have been repaying the mortgage solely, she has rights to the property arising out of the marriage.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, just checking to see if you had any further questions regarding this issue. Please rate positive if you found the information helpful.