How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am in a new relationship with a mother of an 8 year old son.

This answer was rated:

i am in a new relationship with a mother of an 8 year old son. I have a criminal conviction and was sent to prison in 2010 for fraud. My new patner is worried that the childs father could use this to gain full access of her son. custody at the moment is 50/50 and there are no restrictions for either of them
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family solicitor.
Criminal convictions do not necessarily mean that there will be child protection concerns. If the matter were to go to court, the court will assess whether there are any concerns which would affect the care of the child. A fraud conviction is not necessarily a child protection concern and I do not think that the father would have prospects of disrupting the current arrangements based only on this.
Please rate positively if you are happy with the response.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you