How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am currently separated and wish to start divorce proceedings

This answer was rated:

Hi I am currently separated and wish to start divorce proceedings soon.
My wife gas left me and took my two children into a rented property.
I am in the family home which I own and only my name is ***** *****
I want to move away from the area, (not too far just so I don't need to bump into my ex every minute, with her boyfriend) I cannot bare to be in the family home.
Can I rent the family home while the divorce is going through?
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
I do not see a reason which will prevent you from renting the family home temporarily, given that your wife and the children are accommodated elsewhere. However, be aware that as it is the family home your wife (and children) have a right to occupy it. Your wife also has more extensive rights in relation to assets and finances which will need to be negotiated either directly, through mediation or through the courts.
I would advise that you seek mediation in relation to the financial issues so that both you and your wife are on the same page.
Please rate positive if you are happy with the response.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you