How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34887
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife left me man after 40 years. Divorce was

This answer was rated:

My wife left me for another man after 40 years. Divorce was granted on grounds of her adultery. When she left she took £10000. in cash plus some other items of value. She also took without my knowledge the deeds for the house which is in our joint names. I paid off the mortgage with my insurance and lump sum from my job when I retired.
The man she left me for was also married and had a joint mortgage with his wife. they now want half value of both houses so they can buy one outright leaving me and the other woman with mortgages we can not afford. She is also getting a lump sum from her job upon retirement of which I will get nothing. What can I do to keep my house and what may she be entitled too?
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family solicitor.
If you have not had a financial settlement approved by the Court, and assuming you have not remarried since Decree Absolute has been granted, then you are entitled to apply to court to settle the finances.
As part of negotiations, and if the matter were to proceed to court, the full extent of your financial position as well as hers, as well as the contributions made (both financial and otherwise) throughout the marriage. The court will then look at your needs and her needs, and the needs of any children, when deciding what settlement is appropriate.
As a first option you should consider contacting a mediator as you will not be able to submit an application to Court regarding the finances unless you have attended a Mediation Information & Assessment meeting - check her to find your local mediators -
Please rate positive if you are happy with the response.
HiMy name is ***** ***** I am happy to try and give some further assistance if you wish me to do soHowever I will need some further informationHow much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?What is the value of your respective pensions - and how old are you both?What other assets are there?What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The house is worth £230,000. There is No outstanding mortgage. I paid this off with my lump sum from my works pension.I am 65 and will be 66 in December 2015. My ex wife Ann is 61. I do not know what her pension will be but she earns over £2000 per month. I have a works pension of £1500 per month plus old age pension of £400 per month.
There are no other Assets.
How much was the outstanding mortgage that you paid off?How much was the lump sum that you received.How much does a one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy (this is just for information)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The outstanding amount was £32,184.31.
I received approx £42,000. Because with what was left I brought £10,000 worth of shares. Which I cashed in when Ann left and she took the £10,000. I was vulnerable at this time and hoped she would return.
A one bed roomed house if any available £120,000 to 150,000.
Woudl you be willing to consider Equity Release to be free of her?
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34887
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the best way to go about this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Claire, I have acknowledged your answer and would like your help in proceeding and what would be a an acceptable off to my exwife.
My apologies for the delay!As a first stage you need to negotiate a settlement with your ex using Family 50/50 share of the assets would not be appropriate since you paid off the mortgage - and your housing needs are also important so you could argue that you should rceive at least £130,000 from the assets - and credit needs to be given for the £10,000 she has already receivedOnce you have established the amount that she shoudl receive the funds can be raised using Equity Release - leaving you safe in your home.