How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband and i are separated, and he currently has the

This answer was rated:

hi, my husband and i are separated, and he currently has the children every other weekend however i was contacted by the police on Thursday last week because he had been arrested and was threatening to commit suicide. i am very concerned now about the safety of my children. prior to spitting up i was aware he was drinking a lot and his moods were very volatile.
i need to know where i stand with regards ***** ***** him seeing the children.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family solicitor.
Both parents have a right to have a relationship with their children during their upbringing, which includes contact with them. However, if you have concerns about the level of care that he will provide them then you have a right to refuse him seeing them.
I would suggest that you inform him of this and your concerns and possibly suggest mediation as a way forward. You can find independent mediators in your area here:
Please rate positive if you found this helpful.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you. how dose mediation work? is it best to contact him through a solicitor?
Mediation is basically you and the father sitting with the mediator, who is usually a qualified family solicitor, to discuss issues and attempt to reach an agreement, in your case for arrangements for the father to see your children. The mediator's role is to facilitate negotiations but will not be able to advise you about your proposals.
You could instruct a solicitor to make a referral, but most mediators accept self-referrals. However, a solicitor can be instructed to advise you of any proposals or agreements reached in mediation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
from a child protection point of view if i believe that he posses a serious risk to the children what is the best way to go about this? my mum has mentioned safeguarding the children
If there are child protection concerns, you could suggest that contact only takes place at a contact centre (can be a supervised basis - where a supervisor takes notes, or on a supported basis - where a supervisor is there as a support capacity but does not take notes).
If this is not sufficient safeguarding given the concerns then you can suggest that contact ceases until such time that he addressed the concerns.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you very much for your help
Thank you, ***** ***** luck.