How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1435
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have been receiving £5.00 a week from my ex wife daughter.

This answer was rated:

i have been receiving £5.00 a week from my ex wife for my daughter. she went on to college until june this year and i have struggled to get the payments stopped via the csa. i spoke to the csa today and because i was not receiving child benefit for the last 2 years, they say i have to repay the last 2 years maintenance since my daughter left school. my daughter turned 19 in april this year. Any advice would be appreciated
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please may I ask:
- when did your daughter leave school?
- when did she start college?
- what was she studying at college?
- when did she leave college?
- was your daughter living with you all this time?
- why were you not receiving child benefit?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi.My daughter left school at the end of may 2012. She attended college for a year in Swindon studying care. She then went to a different college studying Animal care and management for a 2 year period ending 30th june 2015. She has lived with me on a permanent basis since she was 9 years old. Regarding child benefit, i was informed by the child benefit office in Newcastle that the law had changed and due to my income i was not entitled to claim. I have since been told that this is incorrect. Regards
Thank you for your response.
Child Maintenance is payable until a child reaches 20 as long as they are in full time (12 hours +) non advanced (not university level) education.
Whilst child benefit is often used as an indication it is not a total rule.
You need to officially complain to the CMS - put this in writing to them marked as a complaint.
Child Maintenance Service PO Box 249 MITCHELDEAN
GL17 1AJ
If the situation is then not resolved then it needs to be escalated to the complaints review team.
If you are still not satisfied then you need to raise this with the Independant Case Examiner.
Independent Case Examiner acts as an independent referee
for people who feel that government bodies, including the Child Maintenance Service, have not treated them fairly or haven’t dealt with their complaint properly.
Their service is free and is not part of the Child Maintenance Service.
To contact the Independent Case Examiner, you can:
• call08456060777*between8amand5pm,MondaytoFriday • useatextphone,ifyouhavespeechorhearingdifficulties,on
0151(###) ###-####
• • writeto: TheIndependentCaseExaminer
Jupiter Drive Chester CH70 8DR
Kind regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you