How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My 19 year old son has been told he is going to be a dad,

Customer Question

My 19 year old son has been told he is going to be a dad, i know he can apply for parental responsibility how much access is he allowed. He wants to have as much contact as possible
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family solicitor.
Are they married? If not then he should register hisnne on the birth certificate in order to gain parental responsibility as this would be the most straightforward way.
However, even if he is not registered on the birth certificate he still hahs a right to a relationship with his child and this is something that he should agree with the mother based on his circstances (eg. Work and availability) as well as the child's needs. It would be best for him go be as involved from birth so that contact can be regular, but it is difficult to say how much contact he should have but it should be a minimum of a few hours a week from birth and for it to increase as the child grows up.
Please rate positive if you found this helpful.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this. Please rate positive if you found the previous information helpful.