How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

If i split with my partner whom i have lived with years

This answer was rated:

If i split with my partner whom i have lived with for 12 years would i have to give her half of the inheritance money i received from my late father?? we do have it in a joint account to which we both pay our wages into also!!
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family solicitor.
Just some further information required - are you married to your partner?
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not married, been together 25 yrs, living together for 12 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
any answers ??
Thank you. Provided you have no children with her and no explicit agreement that she will benefit from your inheritance (or any other of your assets) then she has no claim to it. However, I would suggest that you consider setting up a seperate account for the inheritance as currently she has access to it which you cannot prevent.
Please rate positive if you found this information helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we have 3 children
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she also drives a car in my name so can i legally take it back??
Thanks for confirming. She does not have an automatic right to your assets, however if you were to separate she could pursue an application for financial support regarding your assets for the benefit of the children. The court will assess her and the children's needs and financial position, as well as yours when deciding whether there should be any provision.
Basically, as you are not married and without explicit agreement, your asset are yours and her assets are hers. Save for any financial provision she may pursue in relation to the children as outlined above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok well hopefully we can sort things out and not go down that route!!Many thanks
Thanks, ***** ***** luck.